EASY HOMEMADE COLESLAW this coleslaw recipe is not only easy and versatile, it lasts in the fridge ready-made for several days-- what more can you ask for from a salad?
I never used to like coleslaw, but things have changed since I discovered that coleslaw need not be sugary nor creamy. I’m not really a fan of the coleslaw that’s store-bought and loaded with mayonnaise (or something???) as well as processed sugar. I’ve stumbled into making my own version of coleslaw that uses a light, vinaigrette type of marinade that is essentially a variety of my go-to salad dressing. It’s a mild yet tangy and slightly sweet flavour, thanks to extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste. That’s it!
The trick to creating a delicious and addictive (yes, I said it! Coleslaw = addictive) is allowing it to sit in the fridge for 24-hours or longer if you can spare it— the shredded cabbage soaks up the flavour of the dressing and equally everything softens, creating a more traditional coleslaw texture.
This coleslaw is so amazing for that fact too – I love that I can make one giant batch and I have it ready to eat for several days afterwards. I can eat this coleslaw for lunch and dinner, so it often disappears quickly. It’s worth noting, my boyfriend is also a very big coleslaw fan, and will devour this easily. In fact, he’s the one who put me on to coleslaw — and I decided to experiment making a homemade coleslaw for him specifically the first time I did it!
This easy salad goes well with many dishes, although my personal favourite to serve it with would be my SCD legal, slow cooker pulled pork. Nonetheless it would be delicious with hamburgers, or lamb burgers, roasted or bbq’d chicken, you name it. This coleslaw is super versatile— you could always throw in some extra veggies, I’ve made it with and without the addition of broccoli (a couple of cups, chopped up, as you can see in the image above) which is also fantastic. However you can also keep it simple and traditional, opting for a mix of red cabbage and carrots, which will create a beautifully purple coleslaw. If you want to throw in green cabbage, you can certainly switch one of the cups to green– I just happen to prefer the purple cabbage, and I love the colour too.
Let me know if you try the coleslaw, you can tag me on IG @Grainfreee I’d love to see!
EASY HOMEMADE COLESLAW INGREDIENTS
- 6 cups of shredded or chopped red cabbage
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- optional add ins: 1 cup of chopped broccoli or green cabbage.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 1 -2 lemons juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
EASY HOMEMADE COLESLAW HOW TO
- if you have a food processor that can shred your cabbage and carrots, you can use that to create finely shredded vegetables. you can also use a box shredder, or simply chop the veggies as small as you want. i’ve done it both ways to make this coleslaw (see the photo above with the broccoli for the chopped version).
- once the cabbage and carrots are shredded, place them in a large bowl.
- in a small bowl, mix your dressing ingredients well.
- pour the dressing over the coleslaw, and toss it so it’s well-covered.
- cover and place in fridge– allow the coleslaw to absorb the dressing for at least 12 hours if possible. 24 hours is best! the coleslaw will last in the fridge for the week. serve with pulled pork!