GRAIN FREE BREAKFAST COOKIES a jam-packed healthful breakfast cookie to fuel you all morning long.
I’ve always loved the idea of a “breakfast cookie” but I honestly never “allowed” myself to venture off and try one (!) until I started the SCD Diet. When I started this diet, I realized (finally!!!) that it doesn’t really matter what the f*ck you eat for breakfast, you could eat chicken and butternut squash if it keeps you full and satisfied. I love how the sort of pre-conceived notions we have about what is “breakfast” food just fall away when you start a healthful-eating journey like diving into the SCD Diet or Paleo or AIP. You begin to realize (perhaps pushed by your own zeal for knowledge & learning about your new-found lifestyle) that the notion of most “breakfast” foods were really a big scam to get us all hooked on their sugar-filled (and whatever else have you) breakfast cereals, bars, muffins etc. I mean, that’s putting it bluntly– really it’s all about $$$$$.
Anyways I don’t know how I got here, but let’s get back to these AMAZING breakfast cookies that are packed with healthy nuts for a good dose of both protein and fats! Not to mention the cookies are made with coconut flour, another source of ample protein.
I opted for lightly toasted pecans to fill these warm, soft breakfast cookies, and give it that sweet and buttery flavour. Medjool dates, which are pitted and softened in boiling honey before added to the cookie batter, create mini pockets of sticky sweetness in each cookie, alongside the raisins. So really, these cookies are small but bursting with flavour, and it’s the type of flavour that goes absolutely perfect with a hot cup of coffee in the morning, or perhaps a frothy cup of matcha, depending on your preference.
1/2 cup of coconut flour + 1/4 cup
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of butter
4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup of pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of raisins (as desired)
- chop up your pecans and lightly toast in the oven for 10 mins or so at 350 (they should just start to be fragrant).
- meanwhile, bring the butter, honey and chopped medjool dates to a boil in a small saucepan, and then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for five mins.
- in a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, add then pour in the hot date sauce when its ready and mix in the eggs.
- finally, fold in the roasted pecans, and fold in the raisins. Combine well.
- spoon batter on to parchment paper-lined baking sheet, forming little muffin tops.
- bake at 350 for 25-30 mins. makes approximately 12-13 cookies. enjoy warm or cold, or even frozen– although i do recommend cutting one of these in half and warming it up slightly, with a little bit of melted butter or peanut butter slathered on top.