EASY GRAIN FREE PIE CRUST this is a quick and simple recipe to make your own pie crust-- its grain free, gluten free, and scd legal.
This might be a bit of a cheat post, but when I made my lemon meringue pie awhile ago, I had to invent a pie crust to go along with it. The crust was perfect and is definitely super versatile, so I wanted to share the pie crust by itself. You can use this SCD legal, grain free pie crust for any baked good desire– it doesn’t need to be a lemon meringue pie (although it is fire and I highly recommend trying it), you could use this crust as the base for any sort of pie, a crisp or cobbler, or you could use it for something of your invention.
You could even use this pie crust to create a savoury dish, like a quiche or chicken pot pie. It’s very simple, and it’ll work in a variety of recipes. It’s easy to prepare, and fast too.
To make this pie crust, you only need a handful of ingredients. Almond flour and fine-shredded, unsweetened coconut, butter, vanilla extract and honey– it’s egg-free.
If you want to make this pie crust for a savoury dish, I would recommend simply omitting the vanilla extract or honey, and instead, try subbing in a tsp or so of oregano or basil, a dash of salt and pepper.
GRAIN FREE, EASY PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of honey [omit if you are making a crust for a savoury dish]
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract [omit if you are making a crust for a savoury dish]
GRAIN FREE, EASY PIE CRUST HOW TO
- in a large bowl, mix all your ingredients until well combined.
- add a layer of parchment paper to line your pie dish, to avoid any sticking or mess issues, and then firmly pat down your pie crust batter with your fingers, bringing it up to the edges of the pie dish and pressing it in.
- bake at 350 for 10 mins or so, you want it just lightly golden brown, as it’ll be going in the oven again later.
- once it’s cooked, remove and set aside to allow to cool.