HOMEMADE BBQ PULLED PORK FOR THE SCD DIET an easy, SCD legal slow cooked pulled pork that's also perfectly-saucey.
I’ve always enjoyed pulled pork, and not only because it’s a relatively easy and mindless dinner to make. You can simply buy a pork shoulder, throw “something” on it, and throw it (again) in the slow cooker for the day. You come home, and food is ready 2 eat. However, this was typically aided by the fact that the “something” was a bottle of packaged bbq sauce which I bought at the grocery store, full of sugar.
Since my transition to the SCD diet, unfortunately nothing is “so easy” as buying it in a package at the grocery store (at least, very few things are). So I’ve learned a lot of different dry rubs that are quite easy to put together, I’ve also learned to keep homemade chicken stock/bone broth cubes in the freezer (in an ice cube tray) to pop out for last minute flavour purposes.
I’ve also learned this amazing, homemade pulled pork recipe that satisfies the saucey aspect of pulled pork without going overboard on sugars and other artificial bs. It does get its sweetness from apple cider juice (with a side of apple cider vinegar to balance things out).
I’ve made many a pulled pork variation in my day, and this is by far one of my favourites, SCD or not! It combines the best of both worlds with a mix of a spice dry rub as well as a marinade component.
I served it with a homemade vinegar coleslaw, which I’ve yet to type up the recipe for, but I definitely recommend making some sort of coleslaw to serve with this! And some grain free buns!
Definitely let me know if you try it.
PULLED PORK INGREDIENTS
- 4 – 5 lb pork shoulder picnic roast or pork butt (cooking time may vary depending)
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water (or chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of apple cider juice (SCD legal)
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce (SCD legal)
- 2 tbsp of mustard
PULLED PORK HOW TO
- in a small bowl, mix up all your spices – everything on the ingredients up until the honey.
- cover the pork shoulder in the spice mix and set aside.
- in another bowl, mix up your wet ingredients for the marinade – honey, water (or chicken stock), extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, apple cider juice, tomato sauce, mustard.
- pour the marinade over the pork shoulder and allow to marinade for at least a few hours/up to 24 hours.
- cook in slow cooker for 7-8 hours on low, or cook on high for 5-6 hours. once done, you can shred it up.