GRAIN FREE, SCD GRANOLA BARS these granola bars are highly addictive, filled with dates and raisins and big packing of nuts, making them healthful and filling as well.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know by now that granola is my passion, my one true calling in life. It’s that real. I love granola. My love for granola knows no bounds, indeed, I can eat a full jar of granola in one sitting. I’ve always loved to make grain free granola for my yogurt, and I am the Queen of Granola Clusters. Recently, I decided to put my love for granola to good use and come up with a granola bar to bring with me to work or have a snack at home.
What I came up with is definitely a winner, although I will have to work on their portability, as they tend to soften and become less firm when you leave them out out the fridge for awhile. But that’s what happens when you make fresh, artificial flavour and sweetener-free, preservative free granola bars!!
These granola bars consist of almonds, cashews and pecans, all chopped finely, as well as honey, medjool dates, and currants. You could easily swap out the currants for raisins, or another type of dried fruit, like apricots. If you are missing one of the nuts, feel free to add in the exact measurements using a different nut – walnuts would work as well! Finally, I used coconut oil for this recipe, however you could get away with using butter, ghee butter or grapeseed oil. It’s very flexible in that sense.
Once the granola is done in baking one large sheet, you need to allow it cool completely before attempting to cut it up into bars. I put in the freezer to get it very solid, and I prefer to store these in the freezer as well, I’ll wrap them in parchment paper and put them in a ziploc bag, so I can grab one whenever I please from the freezer. They’re delicious cold, just as they are at room temperature.
You can break up your granola bar and throw it into your SCD yogurt, or else just eat it plain by itself, or perhaps better yet, enjoy it with hot coffee or warm cup of tea.
Definitely tag me on Instagram @grainfreee if you do try making these, I’d love to see the result!
GRAIN FREE, SCD GRANOLA BARS INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1/3 cup of pecans
- 1/4 cup of cashews
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (or grapeseed oil/butter/ghee butter)
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup of currants
- 1 egg white
GRAIN FREE, SCD GRANOLA BARS HOW TO
- chop the pitted dates into small pieces.
- combine the coconut oil with the honey and the chopped dates in a saucepan over medium heat. bring the mixture to a boil and lower the heat, allowing to simmer for five minutes.
- meanwhile, chop up all your nuts into small pieces, and place in a bowl.
- once the date sauce is finished, pour it over the nuts, and mix well.
- add in the egg white and the currants, combine well.
- once everything is mixed in, pour the nut mixture onto a parchment-paper lined baking tray, and spread into a large rectangle, flattening with a spatula.
- bake at 350 for 30 – 35 mins.
- remove from heat and allow to cool – i place the tray in the freezer to get it hard before cutting it up into bars.
- store the bars in parchment paper in the fridge or freezer.