CHEESY CAULIFLOWER BREAD STICKS (GRAIN FREE, SCD DIET) cauliflower is mashed up to create this ultra-delicious & cheesy bread stick recipe.
Who knew cauliflower would be among my most coveted vegetables??? It was never a veggie I paid any amount of attention to in my youth. It was sort of just, there. My mom would make it in her constant rotation of vegetables, most of which I hated, because I was an extremely picky eater. But cauliflower never really elicited such a strong as feeling as “hate,” cauliflower is perhaps among the most neutral of vegetables when it comes to emotions. No one hates cauliflower, but no one is like, cauliflower is my favourite vegetable of life. Except for now, when you’re grain free, gluten free, paleo, keto, low carb or whatever you call yourself– now you freaking love cauliflower and you always check the flyers to see when it’s sale so you can stock up (because who knew cauliflower could get so expensive too???) and you make many different types of dishes with this one vegetable and now I am rambling in the 2nd person about all the reasons why I love cauliflower.
The mildness of cauliflower is a benefit when you’re baking with it and turning it into rice or dough, because it makes it flexible to take on whatever particular flavours you want to give it. For these cheesy cauliflower breadsticks, you can easily load it up with garlic to give it a really robust garlic bread flavour, or else sprinkle in some rosemary and give it a more delicate flavour.
I won’t lie, these can be a bit tedious to make, but I never regret it, it’s always worth it. It’s such a treat though, it’s not something I’ll do every day let alone every weekend, but it’s a great appetizer or a late Sunday afternoon movie snack, if you’re feeling productive.
Fun fact: When I started the SCD diet and I had to try cauliflower for the first time, this is actually how I did it. Because I’m apparently very extra like that.
Without further adieu, the recipe below has become a staple in my house, and it’s also an extremely flexible recipe too– it’s very easy to swap in different spices and omit others depending on your personal preference, it’s actually kind of difficult to go wrong and create something other than entirely-delicious. Definitely tag me on Instagram @grainfreee if you try making these chicken wings! Ain’t no thang but a chicken wang, as they say. Or, as OutKast says.
CHEESY CAULIFLOWER BREADSTICKS INGREDIENTS
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 3/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese (i opt for old cheddar, lactose free) + 1/2 cup extra for topping (optional add-in for the topping, you can do 1/2 parmesan + 1/2 old cheddar)
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1-2 tsp of salt
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 eggs
CHEESY CAULIFLOWER BREADSTICKS HOW TO
- clean and chop up the cauliflower into pieces. place the cauliflower in a pot filled water, and boil on the stovetop until it’s cooked.
- once cooked, drain the cauliflower and wring out the excess moisture using a cheese cloth or towel– you’ll see that you’re able to squeeze out quite a bit of excess water from the cauliflower.
- place the cauliflower in a bowl and mash it until there are no chunks and it’s quite smooth– you can also do this using the food processor. once it’s mashed up, add your spices, garlic, eggs, and finally, cheese, and mix well.
- once well combined, spread the cauliflower batter into a large rectangle on a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- sprinkle the extra 1/2 cup of grated cheddar and/or parmesan cheese before you put it in the oven (approx an additional 1/2 cup, or more if desired).
- bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 25 mins or so, keep an eye until it’s golden brown cheesy goodness. be careful when cutting, allow it to cool a bit before slicing it into strips and attempting to handle. it will be delicate!