THE SIGNATURE GRAIN FREEE GRANOLA RECIPE the most delicious, grain free & gluten free granola. EVER.
Grain free granola was my very first grain free recipe creation, before I had even started the SCD diet (!), and thus it seems only fitting to make it my very first recipe blog post. I’ve always been a snack-y person. I am the Queen of Snacks, one might say. I can snack at all times of the day, on any and everything: fruits and veggies, nuts, dried fruits…you name it, I will snack on it. I don’t know what it is about eating little bits of one thing for a long (and slow) period of time, but it really is the most satisfying thing ever.
Granola is the ultimate snack item, because it really hits those mouth sensations that make snacking so much fun: crunchy and sweet and small and chewy. I’ve learned the trick to make my grain free(e) granola extra chunky and crunchy too (!), which helps with the snack-ability of it, I’ll share below. The other thing about this grain free granola recipe is that it’s SUPER flexible. You can essentially use it as a template and plug and play whatever types of nuts you happen to have on hand– I do it all the time, resulting in many a different variation.
I’ll be sharing the OG version of the recipe below, but I’ll surely be sharing alternate versions and adaptations of this one in recipe blog posts to come. I also encourage you to play around with whatever spices and nuts you have, you could add ginger and cardamom for example for a spicier version of this granola. You could play around with the dried fruits too: raisins is a classic, of course, but sometimes I’ll chop up dried apricots instead.
If you are not a big snacker like me though (good for you), don’t worry. Grain free(e) granola is doubles as both the perfect breakfast and dessert item– throw some in your 24-hour fermented yogurt or eat it with warm, baked DCCC. Isn’t that the amazing thing about eating a whole food-based diet? You can essentially eat your breakfast for dessert and vice versa.
GRAIN FREEE GRANOLA INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of pecans
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon⠀⠀
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg ⠀
- 1 egg white (omit if intolerant, simply allows for better and bigger clusters)
- 1/4 cup of honey⠀⠀⠀
- 1/2 cup of raisins or another dried fruit
GRAIN FREEE GRANOLA HOW TO
- coarsely chop up all your nuts (note: you can vary the nuts you use in this recipe, for ex, if you want, you can do 1 cup of almonds / and omit the cashews, as you please)
- place chopped nuts in a bowl add in cinnamon, nutmeg, 1 egg white and honey. mix well.
- once the nuts are well covered in the honey & egg white, spread out the mixture and flatten onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- bake at 330 for 20 mins, and then take it out and flip (i flip it in large chunks so that it remains in tact in big pieces, especially if you want a chunkier granola) and bake for another 10 mins depending on desired done-ness.⠀
- once done, remove from oven and allow the granola to cool on tray, this way it’ll remain in its chunkiest form. break up the chunks in desired sizes, and mix in a bowl with the raisins. i store it in mason jars on the counter because we eat it so fast, but you can store it in fridge or in the freezer.