HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY-RASPBERRY JAM this homemade jam is scd diet legal, refined-sugar free and easy to make on your stovetop.
Jam is very useful to have on hand, and it’s also very easy to make, leaving you little excuse to always have it on hand! I’ve shared a raspberry jam recipe previously, but this one is perhaps even better thanks to a mix of strawberries and raspberries, and a bit of orange zest too.
Like my previous recipe, this one is also refined sugar free, sweetened only by the SCD staple of honey. With the honey, you can freely add more or less to make this jam sweeter or more tart. I’ve definitely grown accustomed to jam on the tarter side.
Jam is something that’s so easy to throw together and allow to simmer while you do other tasks in the kitchen, which is why I really have no issue in making my own. Especially because it can be tricky to find store-bought jam that doesn’t contain any type of artificial sweetener or artificial fruit flavouring.
For this homemade jam, I threw some frozen raspberries and fresh strawberries (but don’t be shy to use frozen strawberries as well, I just had some fresh ones that needed to be used up) in a pot, added a bit of honey and some orange zest, and then allowed it to simmer for 45 mins to an hour. The longer you let it simmer, the thicker your jam will become. I prefer it on the thicker side as well.
As far as what to do what to do with your jam once it’s prepared, the possibilities are endless. It makes a great addition to your yogurt, for a fruit-at-the-bottom style dessert, of course it’s perfect for some grain free toast alongside some peanut butter, or else you can use it in baking an SCD dessert, such as thumbprint cookies. I’ll basically put this jam on any sort of baked good too, whether it be an SCD legal muffin or a donut.
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY-RASPBERRY JAM INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup of strawberries, diced (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups of raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 tsp of orange zest
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY-RASPBERRY JAM HOW TO
- place the fruit in a saucepan over medium heat.
- stir in honey and orange zest, and continue to stir occasionally.
- once the fruits begin to bubble, lower the temperature to a simmer.
- allow to simmer for 45 minute to an hour, until desired thickness.
- remove from heat and cool, before storing in an air tight glass jar.
- it should keep for one to two weeks in the fridge, or else you can freeze for longer shelf life.