the perfect grain free, gluten free apple crisp– it all comes down to the topping.
I’ve made many an apple crisp in my day. It’s always been one of my favourite desserts to make, partially because it’s easy af (read: I’m lazy), and partially because you can literally do no wrong when it comes to apple crisp. I guess those two factors also happen to work very well in unison, too. You could make all the effort to mess up any apple crisp recipe, but nine times out of ten, it still turns out delicious. I guess it’s hard to fail when you combine ingredients like apple and honey and cinnamon, no matter what the proportions are.
This particular crisp recipe I first made for my boyfriend’s birthday. He’s a devout apple crisp fan, and while he’s not grain free like me, he is gluten free. Nonetheless I had to make sure I could eat the crisp too– so it’s definitely SCD legal, don’t worry my people.
I’ve played around with different proportions for crisp toppings, but honestly this is the best one I’ve had yet. It’s perhaps a bit more cobbler-y than crisp? It is crumby in texture, but it’s like this thick-crumby texture…if that makes sense…if it doesn’t, just let the photos do the talking and let me stop.
Recipe below, you need to try this!! Okay one last thing I’ll say: you could definitely try different fruit combinations with this recipe, for example, I’d put fresh or frozen strawberries in with the apples, or even try switching it up for peaches and call it a peach cobbler. Yolo.
easy grain free apple crisp: ingredients
- 5-6 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp of honey
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 5 tbsp of honey
- 4 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- dash of cinnamon
easy grain free apple crisp: how to
- in a large bowl, put your peeled & chopped apples.
- add cinnamon, honey and nutmeg in with the apples and toss them so they’re well coated.
- place apples in a pie dish or square baking dish and set aside.
- using the same bowl the apples were in, add your almond flour, shredded coconut, and a dash of cinnamon.
- add the coconut oil and honey, and combine well.
- pour topping across the crisp so it’s covered as much as possible.
- bake the crisp at 350 for 35-40 mins.
- remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before serving. can be served with yogurt or ice cream.