HOMEMADE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE ground pork is used to create some good ol' fashioned breakfast sausage.
As someone who has a limited consumption of pre-packaged foods, I’ve had to figure out how to re-create some of my favourite items that in my past life (which was not too long ago — five years, max), I would have purchased ready-made. One of those items is breakfast sausage.
I love both bacon and breakfast sausage, but after transitioning to the SCD diet, both are breakfast items that I no longer eat in their pre-packaged form. While there are certain brands that probably make both of those things in an SCD legal way, I personally haven’t been able to find them near me.
These homemade breakfast sausages work really aren’t that difficult or time-consuming to make, and you could definitely play around the flavours. If you’re not on the SCD diet/tolerate maple syrup, you could swap that in in place of the honey, and perhaps try adding oregano instead of rosemary.
I’ll make them in both patty shape, or else I’ll form them into little breakfast sausages– usually I’ll do it both ways in one batch so I have variety, and then of course like any good SCD’er, I’ll freeze some for future breakfast sandwich and brunch use.
Let me know if you try experimenting with the spices and flavours or if you stick to the below recipe!
breakfast sausage: ingredients
- 1 lb of ground pork or ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp of fresh basil
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 apple, shredded & squeezed fo excess moisture
- 1 tbsp of honey
breakfast sausage: how to
- in a large bowl, mix all your ingredients together
- form into desired shapes; i did some as little breakfast patties and some i shaped as mini breakfast sausages.
- bake in oven at 350 for 30-40 mins, flip and finish until pork/turkey is cooked completely. store in fridge or freezer.