GRAIN FREE CASHEW COOKIES these grain free, gluten free cookies are made with almond flour and filled with cashew bits, making for a crunchy and sweet snack.
These cookies are inspired by the forever OG grain free recipe creator, Elana’s Pantry.
I have to give credit where it’s due! Elana’s pecan shortbread cookies have quickly become one of my favourite grain free recipes, in general, of all time, of life. They are just so freaking good. I don’t purport that these cashew cookies are shortbread-esque — they are not, and not really meant to be. Although I do have something else up my sleeve to that effect, soon soon. Anyways, I just mean to say that it was Elana’s pecan shortbread cookies that inspired me to even dabble with the recipe below.
They’re made with the same almond flour base, and similarly, include a cup of finely chopped cashew bits. You can often find cashew pieces for sale in the grocery store, but even if you can’t find them ready-chopped, you can always blend them quickly in the food processor or else do it the good ol’ fashioned way– use a knife.
Besides for that, these cookies are extremely easy to make, and quick too — I’m a big fan of lazily throwing everything in one bowl, mixing well, and voila. So that’s essentially how I try to do all my recipes…keep it to one bowl.
You can also play around with making these cookies harder or softer, depending on your preference, I’ve made them into larger cookies and kept them slightly less browned in the oven, resulting in a more bendy cookie. Other times, I’ve browned them up more, and made them into smaller sized cookies, which gave me something a bit crunchier– I like both options, but then again, it’s really hard for me to find a cookie that I do not like. I am an equal cookie opportunist.
These make a wonderful breakfast companion, I often have two in the morning with my coffee – it’s not too sweet, which makes it appropriate to eat for breakfast right? They also make a filling snack, thanks to the punch of almond flour and cashews, and are just as yummy if you warm them up and pile on some jam.
I hope you love this cookie creation just as much as I (clearly) do!
GRAIN FREE CASHEW COOKIES INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 cup of lightly toasted cashew pieces (either chopped small, or pre-bought cashew pieces)
- 5 tbsp of melted butter
- 5 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of baking soda
GRAIN FREE CASHEW COOKIES HOW TO
- starting with almond flour, place all your ingredients in a mixing bowl, and combine well, adding the egg last.
- once everything is well mixed, it’s best to let the batter sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or so to harden it, which makes it easier to manipulate into cookies as it can be very sticky.
- once the batter is cold, simply form into little balls – you can use a tablespoon or make them your preferred size. place the little balls on a parchment paper-lined baking tray, and flatten each one, allowing enough space between each cookie.
- bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown, or lightly golden.