SHISH TAOUK CHICKEN (SCD DIET) this chicken is marinated in a delicious shish taouk sauce that gives it a creamy, garlic and lemon flavouring.
Shish taouk is a popular marinated chicken in Middle Eastern kitchens, and it’s so freaking good. Before I started the SCD diet, I would always love to pick up a batch of pre-marinated shish taouk chicken at a local Middle Eastern grocery store, which I could then easily throw in the oven– or better yet, I would buy it pre-cooked and just eat right away.
Nowadays, I don’t have that privilege, but luckily it is easy enough to make your own shish taouk marinade in the comfort of your own home. This recipe requires SCD yogurt and a few other ingredients you probably already have on hand.
I used chicken thighs, but you could opt for any cut of chicken you happen to have, and it’ll still taste delicious. Once you have shish taouk chicken, you can serve it with a little Greek salad to really complete the meal, or if you can find grain free wraps, you could fill it in a wrap with fresh slices of cucumber, tomato and homemade tzatziki. Tzatziki can be made very simply with SCD yogurt and fresh cucumbers, so there are no excuses!
I hope you love this marinade. Try it below.
SHISH TAOUK CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- 1.5 – 2 lbs of chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup of SCD yogurt
- 1/4 cup of fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1-3 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp of fresh chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
SHISH TAOUK CHICKEN HOW TO
beginning with yogurt, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, place all your marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined
place your chicken in an oven-safe glass dish and cover it in the marinade. cover and refrigerate overnight, for 24 hours.
- preheat the oven to 375 and roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, (if it’s not in an oven-safe glass dish you will need to transfer into a roasting-appropriate dish), until chicken is cooked. You can remove from the oven mid-way through cooking, and spoon the marinade back on top of the chicken.