exactly as described, these skin-on chicken thighs are extra crispy while maintaining their juiciness.
I’ve always loved a perfectly-crispy and golden brown chicken skin. Since I was young, you could guarantee that I would eat the chicken skin– and I would eat anyone else’s too, I had no shame. I may have grown up, but I still enjoy my chicken skin, I just don’t eat other people’s chicken skin so much anymore, cause I’m not a complete weirdo (but I am a little bit of a weirdo).
Nonetheless, my penchant for crispy skin has resulted in a life-long quest to always serve chicken with, you guessed it, crispy delicious flavourful skin! It’s really not that difficult either, with the right spice blend and one small trick, you’re all set.
The main thing, though, (of course) is to ensure you purchase skin-on chicken thighs, typically bone-in too. While I love a good boneless chicken thigh as well, for this recipe, you want that skin and that usually means you’ll get a bone too. I actually used to always buy boneless, skinless chicken thighs but since I made the switch to bone-in, skin-on, I do prefer it and I don’t think I’ll be switching back any time soon. I’m pretty sure it’s also cheaper that way, so you know, it’s a win-win.
In order to get your chicken thighs crispy, once you clean and place them in on sheet pan, you’ll want to pat them as dry as you can with a piece (or two) of paper towel– and this is really the main trick here. Once they’re dry, they’ll be able to crisp up better, as opposed to just putting your dry rub on a rather wet chicken surface if it’s fresh out the fridge or freezer. I pat them dry with a paper towel on the top and bottom.
The other trick here is to cook them in the oven at a slightly higher temperature, in one straight shot– don’t turn them or play around with them, just let them roast at 375 for 45 minutes straight, with the skin-side up (duh) and you will have the most perfect, juicy, tender, crispy chicken thighs ever (incase I didn’t use enough adjectives).
I’ll stop with the adjectives now and let you get to the recipe below. Hope you enjoy!
extra crispy bone-in skin-on chicken thighs: ingredients
- 6-7 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of allspice
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric
- dash of pepper
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
extra crispy bone-in skin-on chicken thighs: how to
- clean the chicken thighs and place on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. pat them as dry as possible with a piece of paper towel, both the top and the bottom. set aside.
- in a small bowl, mix all your spices. now, sprinkle the spices across each chicken thigh and the using your hands, rub each chicken thigh with the spices so they’re each well-covered on both the top and the bottom. leave the thighs on the pan with the skin-side up, and drizzle the two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil across the chicken thighs.
- preheat the oven to 375 and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through properly. don’t flip!
perfect crispy chicken thighs
- 6-7 chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- dash pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Clean the chicken thighs and place them on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Pat them as dry as possible with a piece of paper towel, both the top and the bottom. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all your spices. Now, sprinkle the spices across each chicken thigh and the using your hands, rub each chicken thigh with the spices so they're each well-covered on both the top and the bottom. Leave the thighs on the pan with the skin-side up, and drizzle the two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil across the chicken thighs.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and roast the thighs in the oven for 45- 50 minutes, until chicken is cooked through properly. Don't flip!